lunes, 12 de febrero de 2007

Country Under My Skin

The Country Under My Skin is actually the name of a memoir about Nicaragua by Gioconda Belli that I have not read, but aptly describes what I want to express, especially starting this blog five months into my Nicaraguan journey. Nicaragua has gotten under my skin, in many senses of the word, both positively and negatively, as most experiences of life are. Conflicting emotions just seem to be more raw and extreme here. I will be walking down the market street in all its hustle, bustle, and general chaos I have gotten used to and think to myself, "Wow, I am completely comfortable in this environment," when a man will touch me on the shoulder as he walks by, hissing "Adios, Amor," and shatter my assumed ease. I think of the people I know now who I didn't know five months ago, though, and realize that this is the right place for me to be right now.

No hay comentarios: